Friday, January 24, 2014

True Life: I'm Addicted to eBay

Hello World !









As insane as this may sound ... I think I am developing a strong satisfaction for selling things through EBay. But then again who isn't strongly satisfied with making money... By any means necessary. (though there are limits) Right?

My Story


Well, over a year ago, I decided to sell a textbook through Amazon, I was so excited when I got my first "bite" . I had realed in a customer who paid MONEY for my item. Of course there's the whole purchasing packaging supplies and such but it wasn't much considering the amount I had charged for the item. Also, Amazon takes a cut of the profit but there was still a decent amount left. The process took days but I eventually received it through direct deposit.

Then, in about September I made a couple of online purchases just before school began and unfortunately the worse thing happened. I received a pair of shoes that were entirely too small for me to fit and I bought them on sale. So yep, FINAL SALE. So as you know, I couldn't return them. So an idea popped into my head .. hmm, maybe I can sell them. At that point, I decided to give eBay a try. Well, I did .. and what do you know? I sold the shoes ! After that I was hooked, Let the games begin.


Get to know more ...



Though this is a very viable way to make money, there are a few things you ought to know. Like one, eBay charges for just about everything. They take 10% from your final selling price, 10% from shipping costs (if you charged for shipping), Fees to list your item, so on & so forth. And after all your fees accumulate, you are left with a bill for the previous month. eBay will notify you by email when they will take the money. *eBay will notify you by email about EVERYTHING, which is a pro and a con*

eBay requires payments be done through a PayPal account and you as a eBay member are required to set up an account with them. And as if eBay's charges weren't enough PayPal also charges you. But there charges are less than 10% and are taken immediately from the amount received from your buyer. So basically, you get the difference.

You maybe thinking "They take so much, what's the point?" but they have to make a profit somehow. So, based on what you sell you can determine whether it's worth it or not.

One TIP for you though .. Make sure you have the means to get to a post office because if not, you'll have a lot of angry customers. (Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything LOL)

Wrap up ..


To continue my story, Since that day in November I've been searching for things non stop to sell on eBay things I don't use anymore, want anymore, wrong sizes, etc. Just going crazy with things. And it's been working. It's not a steady income because there's such a long process; between waiting for it to sell, waiting for them to pay, then shipping the item, waiting for it to reach it's destination and PayPal doesn't give you the money until the buyer's receives the item. So, it can take a while. But,it is an awesome way to make extra money with things you have that you don't want OLD and New.

 

So here are some things I've learned:


1. DO NOT just click Yes, I agree to the Terms and Conditions without actually reading them because those charges will catch you off-guard.

2. When posting a sale always take decent pictures of your item. Make sure the pictures are clear. If you can find them on Google, that's even better.

3. Try not to OVER price your item just to make money. When you're selling an item, you have to think like a buyer. Make it reasonable. Search eBay for what others are selling your item for and go lower. That way there's a great possibility that people will bid and it can go above other seller's asking prices.

4. If the item is used; price it cheap.

5. If you see your item isn't getting any views add keywords in the title to attract buyers

6. Make sure not to under price your item so that you actually make a profit off of it. Consider packaging and shipping costs.


For now I will continue to fuel my new money making hobby addiction through college, as best as I can !

THANKS FOR READING





No comments:

Post a Comment