Sunday, May 18, 2014

7 Month Post BC: Protein Overload?




Now I know it always seems like it's always SOMETHING with me and this hair of mine and the fact that sometimes I just can't get it to corporate. But at the end of the day I'm okay with it because I'm learning as it's growing and as I'm growing. This is an overall process that I am learning from.

About three weeks ago my hair started to feel hard and dry right after I did it and it doesn't usually feel that way. So I did research and found out that I could be suffering from protein overload. Apparently our hair needs protein but too little or too much can be a bad thing. Now in the past, I've ranted about how much I love Cantu Shea Butter and how when I would do pre poos and after washing it out my hair would feel like butter. Yadda Yadda Yadda. Well after a while my hair didn't feel like butter; instead it felt hard and after rinsing it felt dry. The Cantu Shea Butter and pretty much every other product I was using in my hair had coconut (oil) in it and FYI coconut has protein in it. The fact that I was using Cantu Shea Butter every week, more than twice a week and shampooing and styling with coconut (oil) based products just put my hair into shock.

After that, I looked at all the labels of my hair products and temporarily stopped using all the ones that had protein or coconut (oil) in it. I used Suave Shampoo to clarify my hair and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter with Argan Oil Masque to replenish moisture and styled using Naptural85's Shea Butter Mix. My hair felt better but I continued to use this regimen to help reduce the protein on my strands. It seems to be working... This is week three. I will keep you updated.

*DISCLAIMER*
Now, I don't know if I really have protein overload or what because I did not go to a professional but my hair started to feel crazy dry and I needed to do something to fix it and cutting my hair's protein intake seemed to work.

For more tips and info about natural hair care check out the blog below.

Photo Cred: http://www.justgrowalready.com/

THANK YOU FOR READING, BE BLESSED

1 comment:

  1. Protein treatments should be maybe every 4-6 weeks and moisturizing should be the main daily goal. Your hair will usually tell when you are off balance and need more of one or the other.

    ReplyDelete